from Timid to Tiger Parenting Group
From Timid to Tiger is a parenting-based approach to managing anxiety in primary school aged children. It is based on evidence that anxious children benefit from a parenting style that is clear, calm and consistent whilst being sympathetic to the symptoms that children feel as a result of anxiety.
Many children struggle to articulate their thoughts, feelings and sensations. It can be very frustrating and exhausting to try to encourage your child to manage their anxiety and the impact this has on family life.
The Timid to Tiger course aims to explore the role of anxiety within a family, how it develops and how parents/careers are well placed to support children who frequently feel anxious. The sessions will offer practical tips and advice on things that parents can do to help their child cope with their anxiety and overcome challenges they face. The small group sessions will be run for 2 hours per week for 10 weeks and each parent will identify personal goals to enable them to focus on achieving positive change.
What to expect from Sessions 1-10
1. Introduction to the programme
2. Securing the parent-child bond through non-directive play
3. Understanding your child’s anxiety
4. Using praise to build children’s confidence
5. Using rewards to get the child motivated
6. Setting limits on anxious children’s behaviour
7. Using withdrawal of attention to manage children’s behaviour
8. Managing worry
9. Managing really difficult behaviour
10. Review of the work
Hear from people who have taken the course
Please note that names have been kept anonymous for privacy of our clients.